Saturday 24 May 2014

Widgets

Bead-Making with Magic Borneo Beads by Eleanor Goroh!

The first time when I did my first handmade bead bracelet was in February and today is the second attempt to do another new bracelet and a necklace for myself. Tough, but I will do my best to learn. Happening in The Sabah Society, there were about 10 of us who joined the workshop. The class starts at 2:00pm and it ended later than expected because everyone who eager to learn more.

Magic Borneo Beads by Eleanor Goroh is another leisure activity that allowed everyone to know more about beads - from the history of the beads, where do the beads come from, how they were made, appreciating beads, to how to make your own accessories with beads. She has her own studio (sharing with her photographer husband) located at Beverly Hills, Bundusan, Either you can join her at her little cosy studio, or you can meet her every Sunday at El Centro, Gaya Street.

It’s indeed there are a lot of non-Sabahan, especially the foreigners, appreciate our local culture more than the local do. No offence, but only a few who cares, and hope for the best to sustain the culture/ heritage. I myself, I love beads. I have one of my bead bracelets in the car. My friends would ask, “What is it”? Well, they are colourful and meaningful and I would suggest my friends from overseas to bring some home as souvenirs from Sabah. Most importantly, if they are able to travel far (for example, Kudat is known for the Rungus people and their beads), they are able to witness the making of the Traditional Rungus Bead Necklace/ Bracelet/ accessories by the Rungus. It may seem easy, but actually the one that I made is easier - which I only use one string.


Eleanor has prepared the table with many boxes of beads and she started the workshop by having a short briefing or introduction. In her class, as long as you have paid the registration fees, you get to choose your beads (whichever colour/ material that you like) and she will give you a string that suits to make either a bracelet or necklace. Sometimes, she might set a limit on her special beads. So don’t go grab ‘em all! ;)


Actually, it is quite easy to make your own bracelet. It’s just that you need to have a good patience, and be silent when beading. For me, it is a way to meditate by having a good quiet time apart from your busy weekdays. As you are DIY-ing, focus and try to do a little mix and match on the beads that is made of clay, glass, plastic, and more. There are no 1, 2, and 3 steps of how are you going to design your bracelet and necklace. You are the designer of your own accessories, so just do it your way. 

I'll show you my bracelet and necklace soon. Didn't have a good picture of that.
So have a pleasant time with Eleanor when you get to meet her. Do help me to say “Hi” to her! Hugs and kisses.


No comments: